I Hate Mountains Forums

I Hate Mountains, the free Left 4 Dead campaign official website. Download the campaign, discuss in the forums and access a lot of goodies.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

At the time I'm writing this, it's been way over a year since any meaningful content was posted to this forum. Also, the last and final version of I Hate Mountains was released almost three years ago. Which is why I believe it is time to definitely pull the plug on this forum which is going to remain in a readonly format from now on.

A warm 'thank you' to everyone that contributed to this project in a way or another! If you really need to contact the team, feel free to shoot us an email, our contact information is right here : http://www.ihatemountains.com/contact-us/
– The I Hate Mountains Team

#1 2010-06-06 18:27:46

Rosie the Riveter

Well done

A year and a half of effort and well done from the file release to the gameplay smile
- smooth release and distribution of campaign to the public
- excellent instructions in the readme AND in the van at the start of the forest level
- enjoyed the Bonus Features on the IHM website

- custom sounds were definitely worth the snd_rebuildaudiocache time
- levels were stunning graphically and in their layouts
- no crashes or dropped clients on our servers (Windows 2003 and only basic [SM])
- levels were dark, atmospheric and scary
- performance was good on my rig. Helicopter sequence jittered once but that was on a LAN host
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Intel® i7 Triple Channel
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 633MHZ 896MB 2.26GHZ DDR3
Windows XP (32 bit) SP3

Comments on Coop Levels
- the arrows, lanterns, flickering lights etc made it easy to navigate the maps
- liked having the choice of permanent alternate routes. I was surprised this morning on Forest to see the route to the firefly bridge closed and bridge house route open so there is dynamic pathing too smile

- when the director keeps the ci and si spawning in, the levels are challenging even on advanced. It would be nice if there was a way to guarantee at least a minimum density of CI and SI.

- felt that the number of pills, pipe bombs etc along a route might have been too generous. We never felt the desperation of being low on supplies. Perhaps keep the same number of items per map but spread them around off the main path. Players would then have to decide whether it would be worth the risk of searching for supplies or stick to the main path and hope for a stingy director.

- two irksome things were the sticky helicopter debris and the klaxon sounding with fire from gas cans or molotovs but you've heard about those already ad nauseum LOL

Questions, Suggestions
- On forest: What is the purpose of the road veering to the left of the sign at the firefly bridge? Is it part of a dynamic path?

- Placement of mounted MGS
I didn't understand the placement of the MGs outside the Forest saferoom, the Lumberyard road outposts or outside of the lumberyard safe room. However, I did understand the beer outside the Forest saferoom wink

Manor
I didn't mind the use of pointing arrows in the manor for directions but having 3+ arrows at any one door or opening seemed "ugly" and detracted from the otherwise handsome look of the manor.

Lakeside Finale
Love the plane. Its a very Canadian way to travel in the north.
Would have liked to been able to use the interiors of the other houses, just greedy I guess. smile
It seems that the tank spawns in the same place each time. Is the tank spawn area director controlled or do you determine where the tank spawns?

Thanks again to you and the IHM team for a very fun campaign big_smile

#2 2010-06-06 19:01:35

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Re: Well done

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

It would be nice if there was a way to guarantee at least a minimum density of CI and SI.

It would be indeed, but this part of the gameplay is entirely left to the director's responsibility. There's nothing we can do because it would interfere with the director's own actions.

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

felt that the number of pills, pipe bombs etc along a route might have been too generous. We never felt the desperation of being low on supplies. Perhaps keep the same number of items per map but spread them around off the main path. Players would then have to decide whether it would be worth the risk of searching for supplies or stick to the main path and hope for a stingy director.

Yeah, that's probably true, we didn't want to make a particularily difficult campaign. It's kind of aweful to die three, four or five times on the same level when the whole campaign already takes two hours to complete. That's why we've been a bit generous. To avoid pissing off players who don't enjoy that kind of scenario.

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

On forest: What is the purpose of the road veering to the left of the sign at the firefly bridge? Is it part of a dynamic path?

Not sure what road you're talking about, but if it's what I think it's just the extension of the main road. We had to make it go somewhere and avoid making it a strange dead end in the middle of a forest.

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

Placement of mounted MGS
I didn't understand the placement of the MGs outside the Forest saferoom, the Lumberyard road outposts or outside of the lumberyard safe room. However, I did understand the beer outside the Forest saferoom wink

These are part of the environment and the structures built to defend the barricades themselves. They were positioned to prevent infected from entering the safe places. Only problem is, most of the places are not safe anymore, thus, the MGs are a bit useless. It doesn't make any particular sense to use them anymore.

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

I didn't mind the use of pointing arrows in the manor for directions but having 3+ arrows at any one door or opening seemed "ugly" and detracted from the otherwise handsome look of the manor.

We hated to have to add them to be honest, but this is some of the sacrifices we had to make because of the lack of time/motivation to make something better.

Rosie the Riveter wrote:

It seems that the tank spawns in the same place each time. Is the tank spawn area director controlled or do you determine where the tank spawns?

It's entirely director controlled, but it doesn't always spawn in the same place, we had it spawn at a lot of different places during our playtests, in the lake, behind the lighthouse, behind the cottage, in the corn field, etc.

#3 2010-06-06 20:48:50

Rosie the Riveter

We hated to have to add them to be honest, but this is some of the sacrifices we had to make because of the lack of time/motivation to make something better.

My apologies, I didn't explain myself well enough
The arrows as a indicator of direction are a sound concept.
It was the number of arrows at each opening. For example:
http://www.sunlitgames.net/images/dodfo … rrrows.jpg
Instead of using the house symbol and three arrows, just use 1 arrow or even just the house.

re: MG placements. I understood why an MG would be where it was for defense in the grand scheme of things.
When I saw the MG, I grabbed it and  waited for the hordes to appear.
The rest of the team had a good laugh when nothing happened smile

Regardless, IHM is a blast to play and thanks again

#4 2010-06-06 21:13:13

moroes
Administrator
Website

Thanks for your feedback and support Rosie smile You're always there when a modding team need help and support (I think of "Baguet" for example wink ). Thanks!

#5 2010-06-06 23:19:22

NykO18
Administrator
Website

Oh well, it's true, there might be a few places where there's too much arrows. These ones are a particular case since their goal is to emphasize this area from the ground, when you're outside the manor. Their number makes it easier to spot the hole in the wall from far away.

Board footer